Monday, September 8, 2014

My Memory of Language Arts.


    Language Arts and I have always been somewhat close. Growing up reading and writing everyday made me gain appreciation for the subject. Writing particularly was always something I excelled in. In Elementary School my Language Arts teachers had a way of teaching that inspired to me to love and always want to write. By allowing me to free write and be creative with my work helped me to enjoy writing and gain a passion for it. As a writer I have always struggled with the grammar portion. I do alright, but that is my least favorite aspect of it. 
    On the other hand reading was something I always struggled with. I loved to read but I had a really hard time understanding what I was reading. I remember having to read the same page a couple times before I could fully comprehend it. I was always hesitant when it came to reading allowed. I did not want to mess up in front of the class. As I got older I became more confident with my reading skills. Wither I read a magazine, novel or poetry I always tried to practice my reading so that my skills would be just as good as my writing. In high school I finally had an appreciation for reading and finding a good book. Then my teacher forced our class to read specific books and do numerous amounts of book reports on topics that did not interest me. This made me dislike reading for a while but I soon got over my hate because life isn't always perfect and sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do. 
     Reading books about topics that I could personally relate to made me want to read more and more. Books about woman my age facing similar problems turned me into a book worm. I also enjoy reading books about real life situations. Books about ancient times and history are genres that I never really got into. The movie, Freedom Writers inspired me to free write and also be as good of a Language Arts teacher as the woman in the movie.
      English classes are some of my favorite courses to take here at SCSU. So far I have taken six English classes here and enjoyed them all. I have dabbled in literary analysis, poetry, creative writing and African American literature courses. I plan to minor in English and hopefully continue to love it everyday when I am a teacher.
      When I become a Language Arts teacher I want my students to want to read and write. I want to make this subject something they look forward to and want to do in their personal time. I feel that working in writing groups and having reading circles is a piece that will help the children enjoy the subject with their peers. In addition, I feel that reading allowed to my class will be very beneficial. Stopping to ask them questions about pictures, what has happened and what they can predict will help them to become star readers for their next level of schooling. I hope to give my future students a journal so that they can free write as they please.

   



No comments:

Post a Comment