Friday, November 21, 2014

A Moment in History

And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"



"My Favorite Moment in History?" This is such a difficult question for me to answer. Honestly, I truly do not know my favorite moment in history. I first started thinking about politics, wars, presidents etc. But then I realized I don't know enough about any of these topics to go into detail about them. I then started thinking about moments in history dealing with sports. I tried to think of the Olympics, decathlons and many more. The only things that were popping into my head were horrific moments in history.
        I went back to think about my U.S History class in high school. This was easy for me because the teacher who taught this course was one of my favorite teachers I have ever had. He made learning fun and interesting. I hate learnig about history, but he taught it in a way that made it easy to remember. We spent weeks talking about Martin Luther King " I Have A Dream" speech. This moment was a huge part of history. In my class each student had to memorize a line from the speech. We then all had to be recorded saying the line. Our teacher put the lines together and formed his speech from all of our parts.
    MLK Jr. was an American pastor, activist, humanitarian and leader in the African American Civil Rights movement.He is best known for his role in the advancement of civil rights. He was an inspiration to all.

2 comments:

  1. I liked reading about your thought process and how you eliminated certain topics. However, I felt that the post ended before it was finished. I would have liked to have read more about what touched you about MLK, what made him stand out to you from all others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you included part of MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech. I actually just wrote a lesson plan on teaching students about heroes and activists from your culture and I used MLK as an example. I like your teacher's idea of having each student say a line and putting them together!

    ReplyDelete