Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What fictional hero did you look up to?



         Growing up I never was into heroes. Most kids would spend their Sunday afternoons watching cartoons about Batman, Superman, and the Hulk etc. A lot of kids were also into comics. I would have considered myself a “girly-girly” so that kind of stuff never interested it. If I was with friends or cousins and they were watching it then I would.
             The only fictional heroes that I was interested in were the girl ones. When I would watch the Power Rangers, I only focused on the pink power ranger. I also liked Wonder woman and Cat women.

The Powerpuff Girls – Blossom, Bubbles, and ButtercupPink letters reading "The Powerpuff Girls" against a black background.            If I had to pick a fictional hero that I looked up to then it would be Bubbles from The Powerpuff Girls. In this show the girls are frequently called upon by the town's childlike and naive mayor to help fight nearby criminals using their powers. The Powerpuff Girls revolves around the adventures of Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup (they are all sisters and best friends). Each of the girls has a color: Blossom is pink, Bubbles is blue, and Buttercup is green. The plot of a typical episode is some humorous variation of standard superhero powers, with the girls using their powers to defend their town from villains and giant monsters. In addition, the girls have to deal with normal issues young children face, such as sibling rivalries, loose teeth, personal hygiene, going to school.

            I found myself liking the hero, Bubbles because I could physically relate to her. She had blonde hair and blue eyes and so did I. Her superhero costume was blue. At the time my favorite color was blue. Bubbles would be considered as the cute and sensitive one.




2 comments:

  1. I personally liked Buttercup because she had a bad attitude and green is my favorite color. I like that you link your hero to the fact that they were girls. In my blog post I wrote that I like that there are characters like Katniss and Tris for girls to look up to now, unlike when I was growing up. I think it's important for young girls to know that they can handle problems just as good as the boys can (sometimes even better I think). Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post put a huge smile on my face! I think it is the innocence it evokes, from a time when you were little. I can actually picture you sitting next to your cousins on the couch watching the Powerpuff girls! Now you are in college and still remember that. That is so cute! I also like the fact that your fictional hero (or heroine) is a cartoon character. Mine is too! Mine is a man called Obelix, from the cartoon Asterix and Obelix. I always felt that once Obelix showed up, everything would be ok! Great post!

    ReplyDelete