Monday, November 10, 2014

Poetry by Me


The Beach
A Shakespearean Sonnet

No day at the beach is nearly complete
Without spending some time in the water.
Nothing is better than putting your feet
In the sand. Looking out, I think I see a sea otter.

Step by step I take in the hot, beige sand.
Crisp air, baby blue seas, sun o’ so bright.
Sharp shells and hard pebbles crashing on land.
Happy faces are the only things in site.

The thought of the bright sun beaming on me
Instantly is bringing me to peace.
Never before have I felt so damn free.
At this point nothing seems out of my reach.

The wind is picking up so I must leave,
But don’t worry; I will be back, I believe.




 
Free Verse



Block Island

I like to say I ‘rock the block’ every year.
Just thinking about my time there makes me grin.
It is my favorite place in the entire world.

I take my boat there every Fourth of July.
Not always a calm ride over but
It’s worth it once I am there.

Perfect Ocean waves crash along the shore.
Seagulls shriek and soar.
Sand in between my toes.

Their ice cream is like nothing I have ever tasted.
Cotton candy, coffee, mint chocolate chip, cookies and cream,
Rocky road, French vanilla, cookie dough, smores.

Sweat drips down my face
As I take my morning runs on
The coast of the bluffs and watching the islands sun.

Paddle boarding, bumper boats,
jet skiing, banana boating,
Are all activates that make my stay worthwhile.

High over the ocean,
Flashes of red, orange and yellow
BANG-BANG
The after burn smells so smoky.
Nothing is quite like Block Island for the Fourth of July.


3 comments:

  1. I love poetry of all variations. I really enjoyed your "Shakespearean" styled poem. While reading it, the beach came alive and the way in which you described it was vivid enough to transport me from my seat to the beach. I felt the coolness of the water, the heat of the sun, and I think that is one of the most effective parts to poetry, the ability to make things come alive and you did that very well. You can use this poem, with certain revisions in your future classroom. As for your free verse poem, I think that it is a good start to a poem but the poem tells more than shows, a contrast to the previous poem. I think you can make this location for someone who has not ever been there more realistic and believable. What I mean by believable is making the poem more inviting, vivid. Paint us a picture. What can help is by looking at photos of this location. Do not write about the first thing you see. Look for a deeper meaning or something that is not so visible in the poem and truly take the poem in a different direction, one that is not so literal. All in all, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved both of your poems! They were so vivid, I actually could picture everything you were describing, especially the beach poem. It took me to my visits to the beach during the summer. The second poem I was a little confused with the first sentence. Describe the island a little more just like you described everything that you do and what goes on when you go to that island. Also in the last sentence of the 6th stanza you have a typo "activities." Overall, I really enjoyed reading both poems. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well from your writing I can conclude a sonnet refers to a poem where every other line in a four line stanza rhyme. I didn't even need to Google that, your writing was so spot on. I also love Block Island, though I have never been on the fourth of July. Banana boats are great and the bluffs are beautiful. Do you run up and down those stairs? lol

    ReplyDelete