Monday, October 6, 2014

The Maze Runner

BOOK CLUB SESSION 1

 

    Our class has been given novels to read. Our task is to then form a book club and discuss the events in the book. I am currently reading, The Maze Runner, by James Dashner. I will be recording what is talked about during the group sessions here.
     So far I really am enjoying the book. When I first picked the book up, I was nervous because it did not seem like a book that I would typically be interested in or enjoy. I heard that it was similar to The Hunger Games,which i really enjoyed. I decided to give the book a chance.  Today in the group we meet in person and talked about a lot of different, interesting things. We discussed pages 1- 106. We talked about theme, characters, setting, plot, overall feeling of the book, predictions and questions. Since it was our first book club meeting since starting the book, we decided to just discuss the beginning.
    As a group we came to conclusion that there is a sense of an "unknown" theme. No one in the book seems to know where they are or why they have been put there. What they do know is that it is almost impossible to get out of this "maze." Once the new kid Thomas comes, things that were the same for over two years now were changing. Some other themes we discussed were fear, memory, identity, sacrifice and freedom. We also talked about the characters. I have found myself to really like Thomas. He is the new kid who has just come. He is the protagonist in the story. He starts off as someone who has fear written all across his face. The others start off by not liking him because he is asking so many questions that just can't be answered. As I continued to read, I found Thomas to be a brave hero. He heard all about the dangers of the Maze after dark, yet is still willing to risk his life just two days after he has arrived, to save others. Alby is the leader of the glade gang. So far I am not exactly sure how I feel about him. I have mixed feelings. I feel that he is not personable and is rude. But on the other hand he is a leader and is doing everything in his power to keep people safe and complete the task of completing the maze. Hopefully as I read I will grow to like him more. Another main character is the girl that has come in randomly just a day after Thomas. She is currently in a coma so I do not know to much about her. I am curious to see what role she will play in the rest of the book. I predict that she and Thomas will be the reason that the maze is completed.
    Personally I cannot put the book down. This book is a thriller for sure. I love the idea that know one really knows anything about what is going on. I am so curious to find about what happens next and why certain things are changing. This book is a fast, easy read but also is so much more. I am very curious to see if Thomas and the girl (have not found out her name yet) start a romance. Some questions flowing through my head are: does Alby survive from the grievers? Will Thomas get punished for breaking the number one rule and going into the maze after dark? Does the girl wake up and what is she doing there? Does Thomas become the leader and forget all about is friend Chuck, whom stood by his side since day 1? Will Thomas survive being a runner or will he die? I am thrilled to be reading this book and cannot wait to see what happens. I will make sure to keep you posted!








   

No comments:

Post a Comment