BOOK CLUB SESSION 4
This week our book club finished The
Maze Runner by James Dashner. This week we discussed chapters 50 to 62.
Throughout the whole book I was very intrigued and attentive to what was going
on. Sadly, once it got toward the end I was disappointed. I felt that the
ending was rushed, and confusing. Throughout the book the events were done at a
good pace. I felt that the end was thrown together in about three pages. Maybe
the author meant to do this? But personally it didn’t work for me. Fortunately
enough, I did enjoy the rest of the book, and definitely will read the next
book in Dashner’s series. Our past three book club meetings were held face to
face, so we felt it would be a good idea to host a meeting over text message.
Here we all had the opportunity to voice our thoughts and opinions on how we
felt about the ended. Some agreed with me while others felt the ending was a
good fit for the book.
First off, we discussed how the boys
and Theresa wanted to test to grievers hole to see if it was a way out. I was
shocked to see Gally alive. Did the grievers just take him into the hole and
not kill him? Or did the creators do this on purpose? I personally think the
creators did this on purpose.
I did not think that Chuck was going
to die. I thought this was a very sad moment. I felt bad for Thomas because he
felt that he had let chuck down. Thomas had promised to protect Chuck and in
the end it was out of his power. I don’t think Thomas will ever be able to
forgive himself. We discussed how the creators were vicious, heartless people.
I felt that the “flare” was an
interesting concept, although it did confuse me at first. Our group had a lot
of unanswered questions. We wanted to know more about life after the maze. We
also wondered what was the deal with group b. I personally wanted to know about
their memories. Did Theresa and Thomas form a relationship? I would have loved
to see memories of everyone’s personal lives and families. One main thing we
all wondered was, are they safe with these new people. Do these people have
their own intentions with them? It was odd how as soon as the bonus escaped the
other group of people came right in. How did they know they escaped? Where they
watching to? I feel like this is a weird coincidence that must have some sort
of important meaning.
Overall, I enjoyed the book. I did
have a lot of unanswered questions, but hopefully they will be answered in the
next book. Our group did a great job of working together assessing this book.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the book! I highly recommend Al Capone does my shirts, my group and I really enjoyed it. I really like how you broke up your paragraphs, this is something I struggle with, sometimes I just make it one long thing and don't break it up. I hope all your questions get answered in the next book, I hate having that feeling at the end of a book!
ReplyDelete