Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Writer's Workshop: Realistic Fiction

Pre-Write


         Our next assignment falls in the category of Writer's Workshop. My goal is to create four blog posts about the writing process of my informal essay. I had to pick a genre that interests me most and write about how it is used in a classroom. Before actually writing my essay there is a long process.
          The first thing I did was brainstorm what genre I felt the strongest about. I decided to pick realistic fiction because these stories resemble real life, and fictional characters within these stories react similarly to real people. I think it's great when a child can listen to a story and be able to personally relate or apply it to real life. It allows them to create personal connections while reading, as well as have a sense of imagination while writing.
    I had to brainstorm all the information I could remember about realistic fiction before I started my research. Last semester I was enrolled in a creative writing class where we were always writing fiction stories. Thankfully, this worked in my favor because the information was fresh in my mind.
      Defining what this genre is, is a simple task, but explaining how it is utilized in an elementary school classroom is not. I kept trying to think about why students need to use this in their writing process and how they benefit from it. In the class I am currently observing in the students have not done fiction yet, so I was unable to relate it back to them. Realistic fiction allows students to have freedom while they write. It is based off of what they think and not research. Using this genre helps portrays the realities of life so children can gain a more in depth understanding of human problems and relationships.By just reading other peoples' writing it helps students gain a sense of who people are and what they are going through.
   The actual writing of my essay will NOT be easy, but the planning I set up with background information and ideas will definitely help. Stay tuned for the next step in my realistic fiction extravaganza! 




                        

1 comment:

  1. I like how you mentioned what you learned from a class last semester and applied it to what you are working on now, I also liked how you contrasted that by mentioning what you have yet to learn because it has not been observed in the classroom you are working in.

    ReplyDelete